"Screws fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place."

 Friday, August 7, 2009

I grew up watching John Hughes movies. We had a VHS tape of Pretty in Pink (that I am sure we taped off of HBO) and we (Sissy and I) watched it over and over and over. I even brought it to college with me. When I was in High School we would stay at Blondie’s house often and during the summers we probably watched The Breakfast Club no less than one million times. I also have this one on VHS tape and proudly added it to my collection when I went to college. Weird Science, Ferris Buller’s Day Off, Mr. Mom, Home Alone, Some Kind of Wonderful, Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, and one of my FAVORITES She’s Having a Baby were all either written, produced and or directed by John Hughes himself.

FYI-did you know that Brian’s dad in TBC was John Hughes himself?!

Fact: Our class song when we graduated from High School “Don’t you (forget about me)”
Fact: We sang, or at least attempted to sing, it at graduation.
Fact: We were so bad that they would not let the next year's graduating class sing their class song.
Fact: Our class quote “And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations, they are quite aware of what they are going through.” -David Bowie (flashed during the opening credits of The Breakfast Club)
Fact: My high school (if you remember, Catholic School-run by nuns) would not let us use the quote.
Fact: We chose “Relentless pursuit of perfection” instead.
Fact: Catch phrase for the Lexus!
Fact: I LOVED all of John Hughes’ films and his death is a HUGE loss for the film industry.
Fact: I will go out and purchase ALL of these movies.
Fact: I will force Taylor to watch all of these movies (when she is old enough, of course.) and she will like it damnit!

Go here and read one of the best articles I have come across describing who John Hughes was.
This is so true!

I attempted to put down some of my favorite quotes, but there were so many that it was impossible to narrow them down!

"Why did you do that?"
"Cause I knew you wouldn't."

"I hope they shrivel up and fall off"
"You hope what shrivels up and falls off?"
"Her breast, Ms. Deeds"

"Oh sexy giiiiirl friend"

"How about a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray"

"Bueller....Bueller..."

"and in the end I realized I took more than I gave, was trusted more than I trusted, was loved more than I loved, and what I was looking for was not to be found, but to be made."

What are some of yours?

Thanks for caring,
K

3 comments:

Unknown August 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Oh this is so funny. I might have been a teeny bit younger than you. Or maybe my parents just didn't let me watch normal movies : ) because I never saw the breakfast club or Ferris Beuller. I remember hearing about it though. I LOVED Karate Kid : )

Mimi August 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

OMG, favorite 80's song alert! BLT by New Order still get me, I'm jumping around & my husband and dog think I'm nuts.

My 17 & 14 year old son love The Breakfast Club, watching it with them was freaky, but it still holds up.

And probably my favorite that is often over looked, She's Having a Baby. Love it still.

Molly August 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Great tribute. I think we were all raised on these movies!

Post a Comment

Let me have it!! These shoulders are broad I can handle it!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP