Hurricanes

 Monday, June 1, 2009

This is my kind of Hurricane!!In case you do not live in the Gulf Region or on the East Coast today is the official start of the 2009 Hurricane Season. Now, maybe the newscasters around here will stop the countdown. ("Only 3 days until the beginning of Hurricane Season, do you have your evacuation plans?" "Only 2 days until the beginning of Hurricane Season, do you have your evacuation plans?".......UGH!!) I really think they started somewhere around 60 days...UGH!

Anywhoo....we will be getting all of our important papers together in one spot, just in case. Ya never know! We live about 1/2 a block from Lake Pontchartrain. So we have to evacuate for every major and not so major storm that comes our way.


See that line across the lake? That is the Causeway Bridge it is 24 miles long and is the longest bridge in the world over a body of water; and how Hubby gets to work everyday!! Now do you see the other lines on the left side of the lake? That is the spillway bridge that takes you from Slidell over to the City. This is what it looked like after THE STORM aka Katrina. Now do you see why we on the Northshore evacuate? (FYI everyone who survived Katrina has their own story and I too have one. But that is for another day!)

I am doing this at work so I do not have pictures of mine or my in-laws house. They took on about 3 feet of water but their house was raised 6 feet!! If you have never smelled rancid water that has been sitting in the sun for SEVERAL days, I highly recommend it. It is unforgettable!! Plus it is a diuretic it makes you gag and sometimes puke!!

Oh...I have a question for all you moms out there. I am trying to find some sing-a-long Cd's for my daughter and cannot find any that are worth a damn. I have picked up a couple and they are too creepy to even listen too. They are a combination of techno-synthesizer filled children songs with computer voices. I threw them out so Taylor wouldn't have nightmares!! I can still hear their creepy voices in my head. Please either email me or leave a comment imparting all your sing-a-long wisdom on me.

Speaking of creepy voices--guess what Hubby has taught Tay to say?

Hint:

No. 1 I am grateful that Taylor held her own during her school program this past weekend.

No. 2 I am grateful we went to B.R this weekend so Tay could hang out with her Pop Pop, Dee Dee and Aunt Sissy.

No. 3 I am grateful for the Dollar Store.

Thanks for caring,

K

5 comments:

Candice June 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

1. That drink looks so good!

2. I love Howie Day

:)

Molly June 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

I spent 10 years of my childhood on the gulf and went through tons of hurricanes. I can remember my mom packing up her chest at the beginning of summer. We just threw it in the car and evacuated!

Ashley June 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

Goodness I didn't know you lived THAT close to the lake. That is exactly why when we moved here we bought north of I-12!!! We did buy some supplies this weekend though, cause last year we evacuated for Gustav and that's just a pain in the a** :-) We had a generator already, but bought a window unit A/C and stuff so we could stay put!

sassy stephanie June 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Girl! I have peeps all over Mandeville, St. Rose and River Ridge!

I'll have a Pat O's with ya!!!

Charlena June 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

Your golem reference reminded me of this recent family story. Jim has been teaching my 2 yr old niece some choice phrases. Her teachers at daycare were handing out the milk at snack time the other day and Maddie (my niece) told they to "Hook a brother up!". Jim is so proud. My brother - not so much! The teacher thought it was hilarious and fought over who would deliver the news to my bro & sister-in-law!

Post a Comment

Let me have it!! These shoulders are broad I can handle it!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP